Union Square Music announces a 30th anniversary compilation celebrating a new wave anthem. Pop Muzik – The Remix Album compiles original versions, demos, and remixes like Perfecto’s Steve Osbourne mix, one of several commissioned by U2 (all of which are featured on this album) as the opening anthem of their Pop Mart tour.
Other tracks come from dance artists including Junior Vasquez and Dub Pistols, brand new work from new wave pioneers Devo, and even a Cuban/salsa cover version by Rhumba Calzada.
Pop Muzik hit #1 in the US in 1979 and, in the UK, hit #2 as Art Garfunkel’s Bright Eyes was at #1, signalling the end of the easy listening, MOR-saturated 1970s and ushering in the electro, new wave 1980s whose influence is all over the current pop charts.
Pop Muzik’s influence is everywhere… The first rap hit in the UK, in 1985 it was covered by German electronic group Cocktail on which Daft Punk based their breakthrough hit Around The World. It’s been featured in Priscilla Queen of the Desert, covered by hip-hop acts like Tricky and even been honoured with versions in LEGO and The Sims.
M was the brainchild of Robin Scott who spent the late 60s at Croydon Art College, with the likes of Malcolm MacLaren and Jamie Reid. In the 70s he produced early singles for Stiff Records and The Slits and formed Do-It Records, signing a nascent Adam & The Ants.
Pop Muzik – and its accompanying album – New York London Paris Munich – was released in 1979 and featured legendary early performances by David Bowie, keyboardist Wally Badarou (Grace Jones, Massive Attack), Phil Gould and Gary Barnacle from Level 42, and Julian Scott (Roogalator).
Scott went on to record numerous albums and work with a massive range of artists including Ryuichi Sakamoto, Adrian Belew (Bowie, King Crimson), Mark King (Level 42), Thomas Dolby, Andy Gill (Gang of Four) and Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel).
He is currently heading up CarbonZero Muzik in collaboration with carbon management company co2balance and various musicians, raising awareness of climate change and suppling energy efficient technologies to local communities in Kenya.
U2 – Pop Muzik (Live in Mexico City)
M – Pop Muzik (1979 original)
Tricky – Pop Muzik (1999 cover)
Pop Muzik – LEGO version
Priscilla Queen of the Desert version
Pop Muzik – The Sims version
M POP MUZIK, THE REMIX ALBUM: TRACK LIST
1. Original Mix 4:55 From 1979, US #1, UK #2
2. 1989 Remix 4:04 From 1989, UK #15
3. Rob Quickenden Remix 3:41 132bpm breaks remix
4. Original 1978 Demo 3:20 Robin’s Scott’s rare original home demo
5. Dub Pistols Radio Edit 3:28 www.myspace.com/thedubpistols
6. Dub Pistols Remix 6:19 Commissioned by U2
7. Junior Vasquez Remix 7:13 Commissioned by U2
8. Sunshine State Remix 3:50 150bpm trance remix
9. Olmec Heads Remix 7:59 From Moby/Perfecto/React collaborators
10. Rhumba Calzada cover version 4:16 www.myspace.com/rumbacalzada
11. Steve Osbourne/U2 Remix 3:52 Commissioned by U2, Pop Mart’s opening anthem
12. Devo Remix 3:16 Yes, ‘the’ Devo! www.myspace.com/devo
13. Devo’s Darkside/MM Remix 3:40 Yes, ‘the’ Devo! www.myspace.com/devo
14. Original 1979 Video 4:55 Directed by Malaney & Grant
Pop Muzik on Wikipedia