By Vanessa B
As the evenings get darker and the days slowly get shorter, the shift from summer to autumn is truly approaching. Autumn is a great time to tackle a few DIY tasks and get your home cosy for the winter. The remaining mild, autumnal evenings are also a great opportunity to enjoy your garden or balcony before the cooler months set in. When it comes to DIY and decorating your house and garden, there are many ways to make your home feel luxurious, even if you are on a budget. Investing wisely and being resourceful where possible will ensure you get the best value, while a little creativity can go a long way.
Gardening by the Seasons
If you are fortunate enough to have a garden, balcony or outdoor terrace in your home, it is always worth gardening according to the seasons. Filling the space with plants, shrubs and greenery, for instance, is an ideal gardening job for the summer months. In autumn, decorating your outdoor space with textiles such as cosy blankets, cushions and an outdoor rug will bring a sense of warmth on balmy, fresh evenings. Autumn is also a great time to add in some solar powered outdoor lighting, which will create a chic, inviting atmosphere. There are lots of garden ideas for Autumn and inspiration available online. Some quick and easy ideas include the following:
- Upcycle old furniture by giving it a fresh coat of paint and repairing it if needed. There are lots of specialist glues available for materials such as wood, metal and plastic which make the task of fixing garden items very quick and easy.
- Plant seasonal flowers. Calendula and geraniums are perfect for August and September and add a great touch of colour to any outdoor space.
- If you have the space, create a vegetable patch with Autumnal produce such as potatoes, squashes and courgettes.
- If space is too tight for a veg patch, consider planting a herb garden – this doesn’t need a lot of room and is a superb way to stock your kitchen with fresh, homegrown herbs like basil, thyme and rosemary.
- Continue to mow and water your lawn and flowers into the Autumn months to ensure they stay looking lush and fresh.
- Take your outdoor dining area to the next level by installing or building a fire pit for extra warmth on fresh Autumn evenings.
- Upgrade your BBQ to a pizza oven for some quick, easy and delicious meals on your terrace or patio.
Once Winter Rolls Around
Once the colder months arrive, it can be tricky to enjoy your garden or balcony as often, in particular, if you live in a climate like the UK’s or somewhere even colder. It is often worth storing any garden furniture such as tables and chairs indoors in a shed, for example, along with any gardening tools like a lawnmower, shears, or hedge trimmer. Outdoor lighting such as solar lamps and fairy lights can still be used to create a soft, warming effect – plus, they look great through a steamed-up window pane. Planting winter-friendly plants and flowers throughout November and December will ensure your garden continues to look inviting and will be full of life come springtime.
A garden, balcony or terrace, no matter how small, is an extension of a home and it is well worth maintaining it as you would a room in your house. It can be the perfect space to grab a quiet few minutes, enjoy a Sunday morning coffee over the papers or simply get some fresh air during your break while working from home. A little maintenance and some simple garden accessories will go a long way in creating a comfortable space all year long.